Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Upcoming Summer

Every day of school just makes you want paddling season to come sooner. Most people are just glad to be out of classes and doing what they love without the extra worry of assignments or getting good grades. Every year I am excited for paddling, but this year it’s going to be different.




Team 2legit2quit at finish


Last year, paddling season started off with the Pole, Pedal, Paddle. This year, with not being able to succeed in finding a mountain biker, Paddlefest will be the paddle season kick off. I have a brand new Jackson Star and I can’t wait to try it out! Anyway, I’m stoked for the coming paddling season for many reasons…


Put in at Granite


I am super excited for all the kayak competitions in Colorado. Our plan is to go to all of them. We will definitely make Golden, Lyons, FIBArk, Gunnison, Steamboat, and hopefully the Teva Mountain Games. Whether I compete in all of them is still questionable. Playboating is definitely not my strong side, but I hope to improve this summer. Especially sticking my loop more than once! I love going to the competitions to have fun and meet new boating friends. I met Sage Donnelly, 9, a couple of years ago and she is a huge inspiration. She and her family are always giving me tips on how I can paddle better. Over all, it’s just fun to see everyone and how they boat.




FIBArk 2010




For the last two years, Evan Ross has instructed us. He drove us around two times a week and we either play boated or did river stretches. He helped my brother, Sage Kitson, and I conquer some of our worst fears. We accomplished the whole Arkansas River from Granite down to Canon City. This year though, he is not going to be here to kayak with us. We are all going to miss him very much, knowing that he started us on our major boating career. This year though, my goal is to paddle more rivers in Colorado and maybe even out of state. Most of all, I want to kayak a waterfall/waterfalls.





The Numbers

Whenever I kayak all my worries are gone. Kayaking is a sport that once you start you can’t stop. You just have to keep going and trying everything you want. You wait eagerly for each season, thinking about all the new things that are coming your way. You just can’t give it up. You always come back looking for more. Let the paddling season begin.






King and Queen of the Wave


By: Anna Schehrer





























No comments: