Monday, July 19, 2010

New Mexico SUPin

Northern New Mexico is going through the low water blues and I was itching to get on the water.  My girlfriend Rachel and I have been wanting to get a couple SUP (Stand Up Paddle) boards for some time now. So now we had the perfect excuse. We live near a couple rivers and a bunch of lakes and were jonsin to try something new. So we bought a couple SurfTech SUP boards from CKS and hit the Lake right away. I bought the SurfTech 11'6 Soft Top Stand Up Paddle Board and Rach bought the 10'6 version. We also got a couple of the price-point KONA 2-Piece paddle SUP paddles. Sweet! Surf trunks and swimsuit and we hit the road. I'm loving the simplicity. We ended up at Heron lake and had a wonderful day. I'm hooked and going to take it on the river (very mellow section) tomorrow. 
The SurfTech board is very stable and so easy to learn all the basics on. I did a 4 mile lap around the lake in no time and it was very fast and stable. We are going on a month long surf trip this winter and I am excited to see how it performs in the ocean. We will probably upgrade to a fancier Werner paddle before our trip, but for now the Kona's are fine. SUPin is also a super sick workout. Total core exercise. I'm feeling it as we speak. Bonus-our dogs loved cruising around on the boards :)
Surf trunks are drying on the line for another adventure tomorrow. Enjoy the photos. Beers, Atom...


Dalen getting her groove on

Salto getting used to the board



Rach and Dalen


Still figuring out how to stand up


Lazy


Rach heading out


Heading out for my 4 mile loop

So much fun



Bow stall


Our camp


Perfection

Our baby



Dalen riding the nose. She is going to love the ocean waves


Water dog


Rach on her loop


resting


Done for awhile


learning curve


Another bow stall into a faceplant


beauty


Wild turkey on the way home





No comments: